At the end of this lesson-
- 1. You will be able to explain static website and it’s characteristics.
- 2. You will be able to describe advantages and disadvantages of static website.
- 3. You will be able to explain dynamic website and it’s characteristics.
- 4. You will be able to describe advantages and disadvantages of dynamic website.
- 5. You will be able to differentiate static website and dynamic website.
A website can be of two types:
- Static Website
- Dynamic Website
Static website: A static website contains information that does not change. It remains the same, or static, for every viewer of the site.
Advantages of static website:
- 1. The biggest advantage of a static website is that it is quick to develop.
- 2. Unlike a dynamic website, static websites are cheaper to develop.
- 3. Static websites can get dedicated servers at a cheaper price and that too with much ease.
- 4. Search engines like Google, Bing etc., can easily index a static website as they are just a series of coded HTML or CSS files.
- 5. Static websites do not have complex structures like a dynamic website and can be easily and quickly transferred from server to client without much processing time.
Disadvantages of static website:
- 1. The biggest disadvantage of a static website is that its content cannot be changed easily. It requires the expertise of a web developer to update, add or change any content on a static website. All the HTML files would need to be individually changed even for a slight change made to the website.
- 2. In order to make changes, one would have to change each page file again and again which can be consuming a lot of resources.
- 3. A static website does not offer all the functionalities that a dynamic website can.
Dynamic website: A dynamic website contains information that changes, depending on the viewer, the time of the day, the time zone, the viewer’s native language, and other factors.
Most dynamic sites utilize a Content Management System to, you guessed it, manage their content. Often, developers will create a custom CMS for their clients (using PHP and MySQL), but that’s not necessary. There are tons of free systems available for your use, like WordPress, Drupal and Joomla.
Examples of dynamic sites are blogs, e-commerce sites, calendar or to-do sites, or any site that needs to updated often.
Advantages of dynamic website:
- 1. The biggest advantage of a dynamic website is that it can be easily updated as per the needs of the business owner. No expert knowledge is needed in changing the dynamic website.
- 2. Dynamic websites interact with the users and changes according to their behavior.
- 3. A dynamic website can be quickly updated to become responsive to various screen sizes that was impossible with a static one.
- 4. A dynamic website offers a smoother navigation and lets the user jump from one page to the other without any problem.
Disadvantages of dynamic website:
- 1. Dynamic websites can cost big bucks in their development and even the hosting cost is high.
- 2. Having a number of functions to perform with complex technology, the dynamic websites becomes slower to process and load.
|Static website||Dynamic website|
|A static website contains information that does not change. It remains the same, or static, for every viewer of the site.||A dynamic website contains information that changes, depending on the viewer, the time of the day, the time zone, the viewer’s native language, and other factors.|
|Easy to develop and a bit experienced people can develop it.||websites not easy to develop because require qualify developers to create it, manage it, test it and maintain security of application and database.|
It never uses database connectivity.
|It deals with database and generate the contents dynamically using database queries.|
|Websites are highly secure than dynamic sites because it behaves as a half duplex approach so only one way communication is possible i.e. server to client.||Websites are less secure because it behaves as full duplex approach so both side communications is possible so user can change the server data.|
Business Website: A business website is any website that’s devoted to representing a specific business. It should be branded like the business (the same logo and positioning) and communicate the types of products and/or services the business offers.
E-commerce Website: An e-commerce website is a website people can directly buy products from.
Blogging Websites: A blog owner will log-on daily, weekly, or whenever, and write about whatever is going on in their lives or business, or they may comment on politics and news.
Community Building Websites: Social Websites, Forum Websites, and Sharing Websites. These websites build online communities of people who want to interact with other people socially or meet people who share their interests. The best known website of this type is probably facebook.coom .
Knowledge Based Questions:
- a. What is static website?
- a. What is dynamic website?
- a. What is e-commerce website?
- a. What is blog website?
- a. What is news portal?
Comprehension Based Questions:
- b. Explain continuously information changeable website.
- b. “Dynamic website is more convenient than static website”-explain.
Multiple Choice Questions: