At the end of this lesson-
- 1. You will be able to explain the concept of virtual reality.
- 2. You will be able to describe the elements for creating a VR system.
- 3. You will be able to describe the application areas of VR.
- 4. You will be able to analyze the positive and negative impact of VR.
Virtual Reality: Virtual reality is an artificial environment of a real environment that is created with software and hardware or computer system and is presented to the user in such a way that seems true and real to the users. Morton Heilig introduced VR in 1962 by developing prototype of Sensorama stimulator device. Some devices to feel VR system as follows-
- Head Mounted Display
- Data Glove
- Body Suit
Elements for establishing a VR System:
- Reality Simulator
Applications/Uses of VR:
Engineering & Science: In researching complex science topic, analyzing the result of research work and presenting the result. In using of scientific tools and in the simulation of industrial process VR is widely used.
Sports & Entertainment: With the welfare of VR it is possible to play a game and practicing of a game with the computer system.
Trade & Commerce: Using VR the buyer or consumer can verify the product quality and information about the harmful aspects of using that product. Product performance and efficiency can be determined and justified also.
Education: Virtual Reality cab be used in taking and providing education. To present the complex topic and making easier to understand.
Medical: Health service is one of the largest fields for using VR. With this technology simulation of complex surgery can be done extreme perfectly. To achieve the idea of a new treatment or professional training virtual reality is widely used.
Driving Training: Using VR one can take training of car driving easily. One can get ideas about different driving tools. As a result trainee can learn driving easily.
Army Training: Using VR solder can learn how to use weapons. They can also practise and prepare for war.
Air Force Training: Training for using parachute. Aircraft controlling training.
Navy Training: Ship controlling training.
Space Exploration: Using VR, creating three–dimensional simulation, so that students & teachers of astronomy can explore space.
Protection of History & Tradition: To protect history and tradition, VR is being used in museum so that audience get real feelings of different events.
Impact of VR in everyday life:
Positive impact of VR:
- VR technology makes learning and teaching method attractive & effective.
- VR technology makes risky production system risk free .
- Minimize the production cost.
Negative impact of VR:
- Humanity Deficiency.
- Addiction in Technology.
- Harmful for health.
Knowledge Based Questions:
a. What is virtual reality?
Comprehension Based Questions:
- b. It is possible to touch imagination staying in reality-Explain.
- b. “Using special Technology safe driving training is possible” -explain.
- b. Explain the necessity of VR in training.
- b. How VR is helpful for us? explain.
- b. Explain the impact of VR in everyday life.
Multiple Choice Questions: